[3830] 50SprngSprnt W9KXI Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 10 15:56:02 EDT 2020

                    50 MHz Spring Sprint - 2020

Call: W9KXI
Operator(s): W9KXI
Station: W9KXI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NY

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Very early on, I elected to operate FT8, which I did but for two SSB contacts.
Best DX was DN70.  I tried FT4 several times but found no activity there so I
went back to FT8.  I would hope that more people try the FT4 mode during the
next contest.

I started the contest beaming to the SE…it was quiet. Nothing.  Eventually I
worked my way around to the SW and began working stations.  With a beam heading
of 240o I was VERY surprised that I was working stations in the South and….
decoding some in the SE.  Initially, (mentally) I wrote it off as just an
anomaly.  But this sort of thing continued for the next hour.  By and by…the
"light came on", my beam had slipped on the mast!  It had moved 30
degrees!  So for the balance of the contest, I used that compensation and
everything returned to normal.

Thanks to the sponsors.

See you all in June.   Al – W9KXI