[3830] CWopsT K9ZO HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed May 27 10:22:47 EDT 2020

                    CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1300Z May 27

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Illinois

Total:  181  Mults = 181  Total Score = 32,761

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Started on 40.  Good coverage of the USA, but signals from the west were not
particularly strong.  However, the regulars came through.  36WPM.  AB7MP called
in.  I have noticed his signal get progressively weaker as we get into the
summer.  The sun has been up for hours.  I knew he called a couple times, but
closer guys were so much stronger.  He makes it in the log every time
regardless!  At 1315Z had 50 QSOs, but need a bit more rate.  The first couple
minutes were slow and I could have used another 5 contacts. At 1322Z 75 QSOs.
Nice rate. At 1330Z had 100 QSOs.  Moved to 40 WPM.  Lull at 1333Z.  I am not
sure what that indicates, but I called CQ a lot.  This is where a second rig
would help.  VE3 usually thunders in, but they were not overly strong, but nice
signals from the east.  1345Z had 147QSOs, so does not look like a 200 hour.
Lots of CQing needed, so S&P pretty much until the end.  I will have to make
some changes to improve. I'm thinking that even though the overall QSO total is
good and has increased with the greater activity I need to sense a drop in rate
(to about 3 per minute) and use a second VFO or go to 20.

Yesterday I continued to work on bringing in cables to the shack via the
overhead clothesline poles. Lots of walking.  I could not have done this a month
ago.  Feel pretty good right now, to trying to get things done. It takes a while
but will make it easier to add antennas and mow the grass.  The next step will
be more involved because antenna and rotor cables are at the limit and I will
have to add remote control for them.  I promise to work on the overhead rack
from the garage to the shack so I don't get stuck once cables enter the garage.
Still considering alternatives to the SteppIR since it does not work on 40.

[6M has had a few openings, and I only worked one European, and missed a few new
countries.  I also monitor 12M for new states.]