[3830] WPX CW NQ5K(K5WA) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 31 20:13:17 EDT 2020

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: NQ5K
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: NQ5K

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: STX

   20: 1144

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

In this WRTC cycle, I always check K5GN's score (NU5A)at the 1/4 contest mark
and if I'm 75% down, it is time to go home and win some brownie points with my
XYL.  This time I was only down by 50% so I kept plugging away.  Since I don't
have a station at home to practice radio, my contests start VERY badly but by
the end it was a respectable score.  Still didn't use SO2R well though. I'll
probably lose my normal 15% due to errors (still can't type) but had fun with
the amazing 20M opening the first night till late.  I also found a honey hole
high in the band on 20 during the last few hours and made up some ground but
I'll bet there are some huge scores for this one.  Nice to see 15 and 10 open.
EU in Texas on 10M?!!  Wow!  I about fell out of my chair!

Downside is my tall 40 has some bad coax at the top and I had to use the second
40 but it fared OK.

Upside is I ran my new remote antenna control panel in parallel with the normal
panel and it worked great so I hope to operate remote by the end of the
year...assuming Elecraft can ship a pair of K4s my way by then.  ;-)

Thanks for the Qs.

73,
Bob K5WA/NQ5K