[3830] CQWW SSB VA7RR(@VE7SZ) SOSB20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 2 00:27:10 EST 2020

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: VA7RR
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VE7SZ

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: BC

   20: 2721    30       78
Total: 2721    30       78  Total Score = 626,616

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks as always to Allan, VE7SZ, for hosting me for another CQWW effort.  I
first operated at 'SZ way back in the 1989 WW CW contest, so it's been 31 years
now that I've had the fortune to pilot Allan's first class station and antenna
setup.

I found conditions to be very typical of what one would encounter when operating
20 meters from the Pacific Northwest at this time of the sunspot cycle. It was a
weekend of lots of fun in running lots of USA stations, but with about 2.5 hours
each morning of search-and-pounce only openings to Europe, along with 5 or so
hours each afternoon/early evening of propagation into JA, but with relatively
low JA volume.  The result of all of this is a good QSO total, a low
points-per-QSO tally (2.13 this time out), and a less-than-stellar multiplier
count.  As other have pointed out, it was clear that the pandemic has put a
damper on travel - there were so many Caribbean multipliers that were notably
absent.

I was not able to participate in either 2019 Worldwide contest, so it was great
to be on again for 2020 - lots of fun and great activity.  Thanks to all for the
QSOs, and I hope to work you during the CW weekend.

73,
Gary
VA7RR