[3830] SS CW N5HC(AA5B) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 10 09:50:24 EST 2020

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2020

Call: N5HC
Operator(s): AA5B
Station: N5HC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Remote Operation

Club: New Mexico Big River Contesters

Comments:

My first remote contest operation, and I'm happy to report that there might be
hope for my contesting even if we end up in a place here in Delaware that
doesn't allow antennas.

In NM: N5HC's station includes a Flex radio, KPA1500, and a JK antenna with 2
elements per band (including 40). Conny has done a good job of engineering it,
and it ran great the whole weekend... which is a good thing, because it was
completely unattended most of Sunday, making me a little nervous.
On my end in Delaware, I used just an old Lenovo laptop running the Flex SDR and
CAT software, plus RemAudio to handle the audio stream (the audio stream from
the Flex software was unacceptable for CW contesting, with no sidetone and lots
of dropouts).

Still some things to work on at my end. Like having a paddle to send stuff
(control-k in N1MM just ain't as good), and being able to do S&P smoothly
(it wasn't until late on Sunday that I figured out how to use the mouse wheel
without making the Flex go bonkers... the experiences with that on Saturday were
bad, so I was terrified to do any S&P and that's why I missed a couple
fairly easy mults).

Looking forward to more!

    -AA5Banana/3