[3830] SS CW K9ZO Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 11 12:48:31 EST 2020

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2020

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: il

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

We were having a record breaking set of days above 70 degrees, so I didn't need
an amp to warm up the shack.  Went QRP since the higher powered categories are
dominated by big stations.  QRP is an opportunity to figure out which bands need
more attention.  I have been practicing weekly CWTs for the last year, so it
only takes a few minutes to get into the groove and there are a lot of active
CWT members with familiar calls.

As expected, the SteppIR 18e would not work on 40, so I used an inverted vee at
about 73 feet for 40/80.  Since I was QRP I didn't need receive antennas. The
beverages were down due to expecting a concrete truck on Monday to pour the
bases for the 4 square on 80, and two Titanex tilt bases.  15/20 was the
SteppIR. Postscript - concrete was poured.

Rig was Flex 6600 and Maestro with N1MM+.  I still have problems with the rig
hanging in TX mode when using the paddles to correct a call, then switching to a
function key.  Whew - lots of repeats.

I started on 20, but could not find a clear spot and felt overwhelmed.  I went
to 15 fairly early and found it open to the west, so picked up quite a few W6
multipliers.  80 meter propagation was very good with a mixture of short skip,
Midwest, and quite a few east and west coast contacts at different times. I
called CQ a lot and occasionally had some short runs.  I expected to do better
on 40, but we did not seem to have strong Midwest propagation.

Normally, my XYL's birthday falls near CQWWSSB, but the weather was poor, so her
party was rescheduled for Sunday afternoon.  Took 3 extra hours off and missed
the propagation to the parts of Canada that are normally good during late
afternoon.  It was a warm windy day and the grandkids played in the woods and
the adults could social distance.

I still have to take extra short rests and naps, but immunotherapy is still
working. We are fortunate to live in the countryside and can isolate against
COVID.

I think I am headed in the right direction with antennas.  Short term plans are
an inverted L on 160, then a tall vertical, 80 meter 4 square, 40 needs gain, so
get rid of the SteppIR, add a 20 meter yagi for the SE.  I hope to be able to
trench in some feedlines, so it will be easier to mow next spring.  Ultimately I
have 10 monobanders to put up, a tower for SE antennas, and a rotating tower.
This winter when it is cold I will work on the SO2R switching and filtering in
the garage.  No tower crews around here, so things move very slowly.  Most
things have been repaired in the house and the shack infrastructure is in good
shape, so I can concentrate on improvements.