[3830] SS SSB NN3W SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 22 23:24:55 EST 2020

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: NN3W
Operator(s): NN3W
Station: NN3W

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Fun event with lots of activity.  Spent most of Saturday doing repairs and
damage control as it is clear that my MFJ 3KW roller inductor tuner arced over
and is in need of repair.  Found a nice fat carbon trace at the roller tap and
found the nearby vertical standoff insulator and coil itself burned.  Swapped it
out for my backup Ameritron tuner and the Heathkit tuner on the second antenna
position.  That fixed the arcing and spitting on 160 and 80.

>From the east coast, condx were quite good on 80 and 40.  40 in particular was a
bottomless pit.  Condx were not so hot on 20.  Spent inordinate amounts of time
trying to work EWA, VE6, ID, and SB.  Never heard VY1 or KL7.  But that is the
plight of those of us with wires.

Franky, I felt as if I could have done the entire contest on 40 and 80 and
turned in about the same score.