[3830] SS SSB WA3AER SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 23 12:47:09 EST 2020

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: WA3AER
Operator(s): WA3AER
Station: WA3AER

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Maryland

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Tried a different strategy this year and operated until 0219Z instead of staying
up into the wee hours of Sunday AM. Checked activity at 1030Z Sunday, which
wasn't a lot; resumed at 1315Z on 80M for a bit before moving up the bands, all
the way to 15M for a short time. Saturday was S&P; Sunday was a mix of
S&P and Run on all bands with some modest success doing the latter.
Took a short break for lunch on Sunday and another for dinner, the latter while
waiting for 80M to pick up in the evening.
The original goal was 300Qs, but with 100+ in the log when I stopped Saturday
night, a further reach seemed possible...maybe 400? 400 came and went, so
onward. Once 500 was attained, I figured the rest was icing on the cake.
Some interesting propagation condx, where I called stations that were quite
strong with no response. Some one-way propagation in effect at times, I infer.
The CH file I downloaded from N1MM+ had a lot of null entries and many
out-of-date. Maybe there were also a number of first-time SS SSB operators. I
should have used the PVRC updated one from SS CW but that slipped through the
cracks. With my crummy typing, every little bit helps!
Quite nice to work many PVRC and CWops members (yes, we do occasionally find our
mics still attached to our headsets and use them).
The HexBeam rotator is having problems, with full rotation being compressed to a
small segment of the compass on the control box. And it seems to be getting
worse, making me wonder about next weekend's CQWW CW operation. Rotten timing.
If I can find NE and scootch the rotator there, I'll be even more thankful come
Thanksgiving this week.

73, tnx for all the Qs!
---
Ted   WA3AER

Eqt.:  K3/P3/KPA500/KAT500
       Hexbeam (35ft); 80/40M loaded dipole (35ft)
       N1MM+