[3830] SS SSB N4OX Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 23 14:19:32 EST 2020

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: N4OX
Operator(s): N4OX
Station: N4OX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NFL

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

I found the VY1 pileup and broke it, but someone was intentionally QRMimg me and
I gave up trying to get the exchange, rather than pissing off the masses. 15
meters tried to open into W8/W9, but just wouldn't quite open enough to make the
move from 20 meters productive. HUGE signals from the W6/W7 on 15 meters on
Sunday late morning/early afternoon.

My chronic pain due to my health issues was a constant reminder the entire
weekend, only overshadowed by pain in my right shoulder that the doctor says is
some, "minor bursitis". Well, the "minor bursitis", was
aggravated by tuning the radio and keyboard entry and the second day I was
became a one arm bandit most of the time, using my left hand to tune the radio
and enter info into N1MM.

N1MM kept displaying a message that Com port 3 was dropping out. I tried
rebooting my laptop numerous times, deleting/reinstalling the com port and the
only way I could "fix" the problem was to leave the bandmap displayed
without being connected to Telnet.

I decided late Friday morning to rent a lift like I have in previous years to
temporarily install my 2 element 40 meter Cushcraft yagi. I could only rent a 40
foot lift and that puts the boom at about 50 feet. The slight gain and
directivity that the yagi gives me on 40 meters is worth the expense and
effort.
Maybe next year, I will have this 40 meter yagi and the other two 40 meter yagis
I own installed on permanent towers.

I'm hoping my score makes the top ten, I don't think I will stay in the box this
year.

73, Jay N4OX