[3830] SS SSB KU2M Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 23 16:20:23 EST 2020

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Wayne, NJ

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

This year was the first time I have done SS with any kind of serious effort in
years, and I wound up spending a lot more time in the SSB event than
anticipated. I spent the first 20 minutes of the contest not operating. Instead,
due to a complete lack of preparation, I hurriedly tried to generate some
Function-key exchange recordings on the confuser with the Audacity program. Due
to the frenetic nature of trying to get a gallon of results out of a pint's
worth of preparation, the sound quality of these recordings were some of the
most dismal failures of my audio career. They sounded like... well, like the
stuff my dog produces on her walks. I'll try to do better next time, when I
remember to prepare ahead of time.

As the contest wore on, I didn't expect to work VY1 but I DID think I would find
or be called by a VE2. Nope. Missed VE2, VY1, and KL7; never even heard any of
them. Thank Bog I was called by a VE7 late on Sunday - the only one I heard the
whole weekend. Well, I guess some people just don't like SSB, eh?

And of course, special thanks to KP2M and WP3R for "being there."

Conditions were spotty - the A index went high, 10 was shot and 15M was mostly a
graveyard, forcing everyone to 20M for daytime "DX." Finding a spot on
that overcrowded band to maintain a run, if you weren't doing high power, became
very difficult. 80 wasn't bad, better on Dupeday (some people call it
"Sunday") than Saturday.

Anyway, it's a good thing that the dog, rolled up on the carpet behind the
operating position, ignored my repeated requests from the chair to go get me a
beer, because it probably helped my concentration.

Just as well, as I'm not sure she knows where the bottle openers are kept.