[3830] SS SSB KD4D(@W3LPL) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 23 20:04:41 EST 2020

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: KD4D
Operator(s): KD4D
Station: W3LPL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MDC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Congratulations to Ken, K4ZW, for a great Unassisted score!

Thanks again to Frank Donovan, W3LPL, for letting me invade his basement.  This
time, my "partner in crime", Bob Teitel (W3IDT), and I shared Frank's
station.  Frank's M/M station has two operating positions per band, sharing an
amplifier and antennas.  Bob sat on the right side and I sat on the left side
and only one of us was on a band at a time.

I prefer operating Sweepstakes unassisted and with SO2R but wanted to help PVRC
in the club competition and the opportunity to use Frank's station was too good
to pass up.  :-)  The packet spots and skims made a big difference in the CW
event and were helpful in SSB, particularly using only one radio.

Frank has hung shower curtains between the two operating positions on 80, 40,
20, and 15 meters - the bands Bob and I used for the contest.  We wore masks the
entire time, didn't share radios, keyboards, headsets, or radios, and maintained
social distancing.  Frank kept the shack window and doors open and ran a fan.
It got a bit chilly at night!  :-)

In the CW weekend, it didn't seem like splitting the bands was a big
disadvantage - there always seemed to be two bands that were about equally
productive.  I missed having a second radio, but the ability to click on packet
spots/skims and do very rapid S&P kind of made up for it.

This weekend, having to share the bands was a significantly larger compromise.
We mostly swapped between 40 and 80 and often one band would have a rate of 30
or even 40 QSOs per hour better than the other.  We swapped bands about every
hour or 90 minutes.  Not having a second radio was a bigger disadvantage than in
CW - the SSB spots are less efficient than the CW skims.  There are simply fewer
SSB spots.  I spent most of my time running with brief S&P sessions to clear
out the Available QSOs window.

I had 81 sections before taking a nap early Sunday morning and got PE and PR
early Sunday morning.  I never heard NT and never saw a spot or skim for NT on a
band I was on at the time.  The last ten sections I worked, in order, were:
EWA
MT
MB
DE
NLI
QC
ONN
GTA
PE
PR

Thanks for the QSOs.  Hourly rates and count of QSOs per section by band
follow.

73,

Mark, KD4D

KD4D
By band - All modes
QSOs (without dupes) - By time

| Hr |      160 |       80 |       40 |       20 |       15 |       10 |   Total

|    |          |          |          |          |          |          |

| 21 |          |          |          |      102 |          |          |
102 |
| 22 |          |          |       51 |       47 |          |          |
98 |
| 23 |          |        5 |       65 |          |          |          |
70 |
| 00 |          |       81 |          |          |          |          |
81 |
| 01 |          |       39 |       36 |          |          |          |
75 |
| 02 |          |          |       94 |          |          |          |
94 |
| 03 |          |          |       89 |          |          |          |
89 |
| 04 |          |          |       93 |          |          |          |
93 |
| 05 |          |       83 |          |          |          |          |
83 |
| 06 |          |       75 |          |          |          |          |
75 |
| 07 |          |        1 |       47 |          |          |          |
48 |
| 08 |          |          |          |          |          |          |

| 09 |          |          |          |          |          |          |

| 10 |          |          |          |          |          |          |

| 11 |          |        2 |          |          |          |          |
2 |
| 12 |          |       51 |       18 |          |          |          |
69 |
| 13 |          |       24 |       18 |          |          |          |
42 |
| 14 |          |        4 |        7 |       31 |          |          |
42 |
| 15 |          |          |       56 |          |          |          |
56 |
| 16 |          |          |       63 |          |          |          |
63 |
| 17 |          |          |        9 |       33 |        7 |          |
49 |
| 18 |          |          |       32 |          |          |          |
32 |
| 19 |          |          |       66 |          |          |          |
66 |
| 20 |          |          |       52 |        3 |        8 |          |
63 |
| 21 |          |          |          |       66 |          |          |
66 |
| 22 |          |          |          |       26 |          |          |
26 |
| 23 |          |       42 |          |       23 |          |          |
65 |
45 |
| 01 |          |       22 |       36 |          |          |          |
58 |
21 |
|    |          |      450 |      877 |      331 |       15 |          |
1673 |