[3830] SS SSB K7XC SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 24 12:02:17 EST 2020

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K7XC
Operator(s): K7XC
Station: K7XC

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: N NV - DM09jh

Club: Mother Lode DX/Contest Club

Comments:

Not a full effort as I Never felt 100% all weekend. Reduced to Low Power this
year after selling the AL-80B. Made a few mistakes before and during the event
that cost me time, energy, & money. At one point early Saturday evening, I
was so annoyed with the station layout I tore it apart and rebuilt it. Not the
best time to do it but the finished product is vastly better than before,
except, when tired and distracted I put the ANC-4 Noise Canceller back inline,
but reversed the coax lines effectively rendering that sweet little box of magic
INERT! Tried to go back and continue operating several times but in the end I
decided it was best to punt this year. Being limited to only 100W made it more
of a job than fun but I still managed to run to ground many of the rarer mults.
The new section PE is waaayyyyy out there from here! Found one station on 20M
doing well with huge pileups I just couldn't get thru only to be surprised on
15M fining a YL from there with a very low serial number and hardly any callers!
Found NT early on but missed MAR, NL, QC, and ORG of all things! Go Figure.
Changed the station antennas around as well this season by taking down the 20M
Monobander @ 43ft and replacing it with a refurbished 40 yr old 3 element FB-33
Fritzel Beam Tribander from Germany. Turns out to be one of the best designed
antennas of its type I have ever owned, performing very closely to what the
manual promised for Gain, F/B & SWR Bandwidth. Replacing the 30 yr old coax
didn't hurt either, HI! Having a gain antenna at height on 15M & 10M proved
to be the right choice as each band was open. Nice to have more than 1 local
contact on 10M this time!  Here's to Cycle 25! TY TY! Even Retuned my trusty
40M/80M Dual Band Inv Vee @ 38ft to good effect. Only have the 160M Inv L @40ft
left to get in final shape before the 160M event in Dec. Once everything was
back together and working, there were no further Station or Operator
Malfunctions the rest of the weekend. Thanks to the many who strained to pull me
through the QRM! Happy Thanksgiving & a Merry Christmas from Northern
Nevada! 73s and GL !