[3830] SS SSB N7MZW SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 24 23:35:41 EST 2020

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: N7MZW
Operator(s): N7MZW
Station: N7MZW

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Cheyenne,WY.

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Icom IC-735,Vectronics VC300DLP Manual Tuner, Heil Pro Micro Headset on VOX
(using the vocal cords I was issued at birth), and a 90 foot long G5RV/ZS6BKW
Flat Top up 45 feet, running N-S at 6,053 feet elevation from Laramie County,
WY. Nice to see 15 meters open. Made 47% of my Q's on 40, 40% on 20,8% on 15,
and 5% on 80. Tough to find and keep a run frequency, with 100 watts and a
single wire antenna, but did my best, besting my last years SOLP Unlimited score
by over 40%. Worked a few GMCC Club members, and a few schools as well. 40 and
20 were both pretty much wall to wall with activity, and perhaps due to
COVID-19, Sunday seemed to have more activity than last year. Nice to see so
many recent checks from recently licensed Ops. Contesting needs more young
talent. I tried to run when I could ,since I had no rig control between my
logger and my rig. As always, way too many "Please copy" and "You
are..." redundant comments during the exchange, but I was happy to explain
the exchange to several new Ops. Heard K2PO and W1SJ CQing on 7.299 MHz at
different times ,which would certainly put part of their RF out of the band!
Come on man! Also heard a lot of really raunchy, over driven audio from several
Ops, which I hope will not be a new trend. Had at least a half dozen Ops who
parked one KC above or below my run frequency, and then begin to to CQ in my
face. Forty Meters, once again was my money maker, as 80 was just not worth
putting up with the intentional QRM from the "Usual Suspects". Missed
Alaska, and 6 VE mults, so I won't be adding to my Clean Sweep cup collection.
Another 100 watts and a Wire, No beam, effort from my apartment QTH is in the
books. Thanks to all for the fills, and your patience in the pileups! November
Seven Many Zebras Walking