[3830] CQWW CW VE9AA SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 29 21:10:33 EST 2020

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 32:35

  160:  212    10       18
   80:  483    16       51
   40:  623    16       52
   20: 1130    27       70
   15:  652    21       70
   10:   86    13       22

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

51 minutes in, Murphy found me and took my primary amp away.  Lost 3/4-hour
swapping it out for an old one (including finding tuning instructions)

Once back QRV not 20 minutes later, lost the 80m 4-square controller. (died) but
realized I had pulled the power wire out swapping the amp.  doh!!!

An hour after that, this old "audio" issue reared its head again.  I
wear headphones, but what it sounds like, if I increase the volume control past
"1", then the audio overdrives and sounds extremely distorted not
unlike a badly broken speaker (or 6m AU if you're familiar). Thankfully my
hearing is still pretty good and even distorted, CW is mostly copiable if only 1
stns calls.

On day two I jiggled some wires so had pretty good audio on Sunday.

10m had promised to be gang busters, but I milked 10m for all it's worth and
other than a couple snack breaks during times when it was open, don't think I
could've got more out of it.  Missed a couple AF mults as pileups were mental
and runners generally slow.  It's 10m...you could've maybe gone split? It's a
big band.

15m - played hard on Sat, so devoted extra time to 10m Sunday and #'s suffered

20m. No Q's to speak of Friday and mostly USA Saturday so ran it hard to
EU on Sunday.

40m was 40m. Meh.

80m. Best Q almost made was 8Q7ZO...Marko was an honest 529 for long stretches
and got parts of my callsign, but EU's were relentless and called him 100%
continuously w/o coming up for air, so no chance.  I baled before sunup in the
Maldives, so maybe his signal got louder later...

160m. My antenna is weak and so were signals FRiday...better Saturday and never
checked it Sunday.

Other than amp failure and some minor shack glitches and some unavoidable
personal offtimes I had a great time.  Was planning on a 39-40hr effort, but it
was what it was.   I ditched the classic category this year hoping for some 10m
and better 15m on the 2nd radio, but never really happened, so not my best
showing. SO2R never really paid off.
If condx are sucky next year, maybe go back to classic and sleep both nights -
hi!

The following stations were worked on 6 bands:

K0RF        K0EU        CR3W        KC1XX       K1TTT
Unique callsigns worked = 2279

The best 60 minute rate was 163/hour from 1249 to 1348
The best 30 minute rate was 184/hour from 0508 to 0537
The best 10 minute rate was 240/hour from 0509 to 0518

The best 1 minute rates were:
 6 QSOs/minute    1 times.
 5 QSOs/minute   24 times.
 4 QSOs/minute  150 times.
 3 QSOs/minute  323 times.
 2 QSOs/minute  498 times.
 1 QSOs/minute  496 times.

There were 407 bandchanges and 199 (6.2%) probable 2nd radio QSOs.

----------------- C o n t i n e n t   S u m m a r y -----------------
                 160     80     40     20     15     10  Total    Pct
North America    204    292    437    670    219     62   1884   59.1
South America      0      0      2     13     25     17     57    1.8
Europe             7    181    173    433    398      4   1196   37.5
Asia               0      3      5      4      0      0     12    0.4
Africa             2      3      1      7      6      3     22    0.7
Oceania            0      4      5      3      4      0     16    0.5
Total            213    483    623   1130    652     86   3187

Number of letters in callsigns
Letters  # worked
-----------------
   2         1
   3        24
   4      1755
   5      1004
   6       399
   8         3
   9         1

CU (all of a sudden) in the next one.

dit dit

Mike VE9AA in New Brunswick, Canada

(when I\'m SO2R)

2 X Icom IC-7410 and an assortment of arboreal based flexible antennas;

10m - Wire Gnd Plane, raised radials

15m - 5-el wire SVDA or Delta Loop

20m - Wire 4-Sq (raised radials)  or Delta Loop

40m - Wire 4-Sq (raised radials)

80m - Wire 4-Sq (raised radials)

160m - Wire Inverted L (more like an inverted U or J) (raised radials)

When operating SO2R, a ZS6BKW @ 35feet w/15m add-on dple, only used for
radio 2