[3830] CQWW CW N4XD SOSB160 Classic LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 30 08:12:52 EST 2020

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: N4XD
Operator(s): N4XD
Station: N4XD

Class: SOSB160 LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  128    12       38

Club: Smithchart ARS

Comments:

Entered as SOHP 160. Did play some on other bands. REALLY nice opening to Africa
and Europe both mornings with very strong signals from Africa. A nice surprise.

As others have written, conditions on 160 were poor. Difficult to work even the
loud European signals. QRN from thunderstorms didn't help. That said, did have a
nice run for last hour of contest.

I'd like to see a change in the rules. Eliminate any points for same country
zones. I suggest this as, every time I called CQ on 160, over half the replies
were from Us stations. Several times I stopped calling CQ as all that were
responding were US stations.

Another thing I noted was that even with a 400hz filter, which, given the noise
and somewhat crowded conditions, was wider than I'd have typically chosen, more
than a handful of stations were calling outside of the filter bandwidth. So if
you called, and called, and called with no answer, perhaps a little more time
spent zero beating would be beneficial.

Earlier this year I purchased a used Anan 7000dle. Before that my main rig was
the IC 7610. While the 7610 worked well there were several issues with it that
Icom, so far, has refused to fix.

The Anan has been a great surprise. Excellent receiver performance, protection
to keep you from transmitting on your receive antennas, pretty straight forward
way to listen to 2 separate receive antennas, etc. Overall handled crowded bands
with both strong and weak signals. No overload noticed. Rig did so well in
earlier contests the 7610 has been sold.

Equipment
Anan 7000lde
Alpha 91b or Yaesu Quadra
2 phased towers for 160
8 antenna circle array for receive.
N1MM+ for logging

Thanks for for repeats and patience while I dug out your calls.