[3830] CQWW CW K3RL SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 30 16:03:09 EST 2020

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: K3RL
Operator(s): K3RL
Station: K3RL

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH:

  160:   35    12       22
   80:  152    20       65
   40:  118    23       72
   20:  101    25       61
   15:  108    18       60
   10:   34    15       26
------------------------------
Total:  548   113      306  Total Score = 633,528

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Despite getting the TH6 tribander pulled up to 40 feet in the trees and fixed on
Europe Friday before the contest and connecting up the feedline on Saturday, it
would not take more than 1000 watts on 20m and 200 watts on 15m. (Wasted a lot
of time Saturday with feedlines). Fortunately, 10m was okay for high power and
it worked great there. I suspect a problem with the TH6 driven element traps.
So, went with the G5RV (at 65 ft), again, for most of the contest. 40m was noisy
and having 3 antennas  to choose from (G5RV, 2 el Moxon fixed on Europe,
Butternut vertical) was helpful. I found it better to transmit on the G5RV and
switch to receive on one of the other two. On 80m, with 4 antennas to choose
from (half square at 70ft, 160/80 Double L/Lazy U dipole, Butternut vertical,
G5RV), it surprised me when the G5RV seemed to be better into zone 16 then any
of the others. The beverage was not working well (despite changing the 40 year
old cracked feedline), so used the TX antennas for RX most of the time.
Hopefully I will have more time next year for antenna improvements.