[3830] CQWW CW K5FUV SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 30 16:49:33 EST 2020

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: K5FUV
Operator(s): K5FUV
Station: K5FUV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: AR
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   16     4        7
   80:   76    17       38
   40:  106    18       45
   20:  171    20       52
   15:  192    21       56
   10:   13     3        3

FTdx101, Hexbeam, 40 vert, 80m vert, 160 dipole, one end at 50ft, the other at
10ft, sags in middle, YCCC receive antenna system

The low score is more indicative of operator motivation than anything else. 15
Meters wasn't open to JA at the start of the contest, not enough smash to bust
20 meter pileups to anywhere else, and 80 and 40 were less than expected on
Friday night. 80 was also less than expected on Saturday morning, no JA there
either, usually a bunch. 20 meters was OK, was able to run early, improvement
from recent years. But many of the usual suspects were MIA. Missed a lot of the
Italian Multi-ops, not much from DXpeditions this year, so my own motivation was
down.

One of the things I wanted to do was to test the YCCC receive array. I only have
5 of the 9 verticals up, but that covers all the directions I need from here. It
was a large improvement. I found a whole nuther layer of stations in Europe that
can't hear me. But they're out there. Worked LA and SM in the last hour on 80, a
first for me during a contest.
10meters was less than expected. If 15 and 20 weren't so good, I might have
spent more time there, but still, need the big EU openings to make it
worthwhile.
Spent most of Sunday afternoon doing other things than radio, that cut into my
QSO numbers. But expectations for next year are definitely higher, as we're now
seeing a taste of a new sunspot cycle.