[3830] CQWW CW AE0EE SOAB Classic LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 30 18:45:12 EST 2020

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: MN

  160:   11     3        2
   80:   23     7        7
   40:   48    18       27
   20:   58    14       27
   15:   86    20       32
   10:   30    11       15

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

100 W, dipoles up 5-10 m, keyed by hand with a Vibroplex bug

I was excited for this contest both because the higher bands have been showing
some activity recently, but also because due to the pandemic, I hadn't been able
to put in a real effort in a contest for a few weeks and this weekend I managed
to get to the cabin.

For a major DX contest, the first few hours went pretty well.  My plan to stick
toward the edges (highest/lowest band possible) seemed to work okay, and I
wasn't wasting too much time in big pileups.  Only a few hours in to the
contest, my neighbor found me as I was trying to get the attention of a station
that couldn't hear me, and we were able to run all six bands.  Thanks, Charlie!

Participation in the Caribbean was down (COVID), and I think that's reflected in
the 80/160 m totals.  The high bands, though, were doing pretty well.  It was
great to hear so many stations on 10 and 15 m, many of which were quite loud.

While most of the DX was typical of this contest, there were a few exceptions.
It was great to hear Malawi on 10 m (I couldn't bust the pileup, though), and I
was happy to get Kazakhstan on another band---particularly on the first or
second call!

There were a few times when conditions seemed rather poor, like there was a lot
of auroral attenuation, and auroral flutter was fairly common.  Overall, though,
propagation seemed generally good with departures downward, rather than
generally bad with a few good spots.

With all the attenuation, I hardly ever felt loud enough to try running, and the
few times I did the rate quickly suggested I reconsider.  At least most stations
were good about identifying frequently!

Thanks for all the contacts!