[3830] 222FallSprnt K1TEO Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Oct 1 10:18:46 EDT 2020

                    222 MHz Fall Sprint - 2020

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN31/CT

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Things started out ok with 39 QSO's in the first 1.5 hours. Then 2 QSO's in the
next 45 minutes. At that point just before 10 PM I pulled the plug. Most signals
were pretty good so I don't think condx were too bad.

I was trying out a new Bekko amp that had worked fine in the 2.5 weeks I have
had it. But in the Sprint it started to trip from the Antennas (SWR) protection.
It would work fine for 5 or 10 minutes and then keep tripping. I put a low power
slug in the Bird wattmeter and it showed no reflected power at all. Changed the
short cable between the amp and the wattmeter a couple of times with no
improvement. It was pouring rain during much of the contest so that may have
caused some issue, though not sure why the Bird wouldn't see an SWR issue as
well. I've tried the amp yesterday and this morning in dry weather and there is
no issue at all. I'm using an M2 ant on 222 and I remember I used to have a rain
related issue with a 7 el 50 Mhz antenna which had a High Q and would mis tune
in wet weather. But I could see that issue on the Bird meter. I've used a tube
amp till now so I guess it's possible I never observed an issue that has
existed.

Cu on 432 next week. Tnx to the sponsors and for the Q's.

Jeff K1TEO