[3830] AzQP K7ZOO Cnty Exped SO LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 11 17:51:48 EDT 2020

                    Arizona QSO Party - 2020

Call: K7ZOO
Operator(s): K7ZOO
Station: K7ZOO

Class: Cnty Exped SO LP
QTH: La Paz

  160:    2
   80:   75     11
   40:   52     21
   20:  115     48
----------------------------
Total:  244     80      0  CW Mults = 46  Ph Mults = 31  Dig Mults = 0  Total Score = 43,836

This was a good contest!  I operated from just east of the Cibola National
Wildlife Refuge at N33° 19.766' W114° 39.623'.  My setup includes:  100w
Renogy solar panel; 2 ea 35 amp-hr SLAB's; TenTec Eagle @ 100w, LDG autotuner;
Balun Designs 4:1 balun; 100 ft 450-ohm ladder line (supported at 2 ft by a
combination of rebar stakes and PVC pipe; 135 doublet in inverted V config, apex
at 28 ft. Perfect weather, light wind.  Many good experiences on the air, but
one of the best was working Ken KG6T running the University of Arizona station
K7UAZ -- Ken's gotten to be a formidable CW op!! 20m and 40m worked well, and
80m CW provided a good number of points. I used a much better 4:1 balun this
year, upgrading from a relatively inexpensive LDG 4:1 balun to a Balun Designs
4:1 balun. With this change I was able to achieve a usable SWR on 160m, and even
make a few QSO's.  (I recall literally burning up an LDG 4:1 balun on this band
in about 20 minutes during NPOTA at Joshua Tree NP - LDG was kind enough to
replace the balun).  Thanks for a fun weekend; see you next year! -Curt / K7ZOO