[3830] CQWW SSB K5WA SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 25 20:25:21 EDT 2020

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: STX

  160:    9     4        3
   80:  109    19       46
   40:  262    29       67
   20:  530    30       95
   15:  500    29       84
   10:   73    10       19

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

My goal for CQWW SSB and CW is to get at least ~500 WRTC points in each one.
With K5TR blowing and going in this one, I hope he did not zoom past 4M points
but I'll bet he did.  When I heard super conditions on 15, I switched from SO to
SO(A) because I wanted to see the whole picture as it occurred.  Unfortunately,
80 and 160 are usually where I can hang with the big dogs but conditions sure
didn't support that this weekend in South Texas.  My tall 40 has an arcing issue
so I have to parallel two 40M beams to keep my ACOM from tripping with 500W max
power.  Not really a good solution but will have to do until I save up for the
190' crane again...(read never)

Benefit of COVID seems to be a never ending supply of contacts assuming you
could find a run frequency.  I didn't manage too much of that though.

Identified more station issues to fix that I've introduced by having this setup
remoted but that's what keeps me busy.

Had a couple of turf wars with folks I never heard until they hopped directly on
top of me and were mad.  Elbows were thown...  I'm sure I've been removed from
the Christmas card lists  ;-)  It's a competition, right?

You expect audio compressors to be way too high in South America but there were
several US guys I just had to drop a quick comment with.  I'm getting more and
more popular with every syllable!  I had one guy tell me I was not on the same
TX and RX frequency when both RIT and XIT were off on my K3.  Gotta figure out
what that is but I suspect the Win4K3Suite software has something to do with it
even though it isn't used when I'm here at the station.  It seems like the DSP
filters got thrown wide open and somehow got TX and RX out of sync.  More
research needed on that one.

Still fun and looking forward to some civility in the CW weekend.  Thanks to my
wife, Joyce, for moving Thanksgiving so I can operate CW!

73,
Bob K5WA