[3830] ARRL SCR W9GRS Middle-Jr.High LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 26 14:14:28 EDT 2020

                    ARRL School Club Roundup - 2020

Call: W9GRS
Operator(s): W9KVR W9CJM KD9LBO
Station: W9GRS

Class: Middle-Jr.High LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 1.5
Remote Operation

     :
---------------------------------
Total:   0      15        0  Mults = 68  Total Score = 1,020

Due to Illinois COVID-19 restrictions, we were unable to operate from the school
station like we tradtionally do.  We were not not allowed to have students
operate from the school QTH before and after school.  In keeping with the W9GRS
tradition of making things work and finding new, unique ways to participate in
SCR, we came up with a plan to operate the school station as a remote transmit
site.  Operators would control the school station from their home qth's and thus
technically speaking, transmit from the school site.  We actually did this in
two different ways.  We utilized our internet connections to operate school
station remotely utilizing equipment software.    We also made a few contacts
using Kenwood's SKYCOMMAND system using a Kenwood TH-D7 HT that transmited to a
Kenwood TM-D710 that was linked to the Kenwood TS-480.  Fortunately, I live only
2 blocks from the school, so it was a "chip-shot" using 2m.  What was
nice, it proved the feasibility of transmiting from the school station from
remote locations.  We knew we had the capability, just hadn't tried it before.

We only searched/pounced and even though we heard very few schools, we worked
all that we heard.  We did put the 75th UN SES from Vienna Station in the log
for ATNO!

Hoping to be able to have some semblance of normal operations in February!