[3830] CQWW SSB VE3FU SO(A)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 26 19:50:44 EDT 2020

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: VE3FU
Operator(s): VE3FU
Station: VE3FU

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: Ontario
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   85     4        4
   80:   86     8       12
   40:  100    19       39
   20:  175    19       62
   15:  166    17       58
   10:   51   140       21

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I've never put a lot of effort into this leg of the CQWW, but it's the CQWW, so
you _have_ to get on and make at least a few QSOs.

I've operated this contest the last 3 years as part of a M/2 at VE3JM (thanks
Vlad!), but we all know why that didn't happen this year :=)

I thought about doing this contest from my remote in VO2, but with 100W and an
all band vertical, that thought didn't last very long.  It was enough of a
struggle running 100W from here, especially on the low bands, even with a
semi-decent complement of antennas.

After the first 24 hours I was sitting at 323Q, 67Z, and 152DXCC for 184K
points.  Using the tried and trusted estimate of (2x 24hr score) + 10% = final
score, I figured I'd make ~405K points. That didn't sound like a lot.  After the
measly first 24 hour effort I wasn't expecting much out of the bands the next
day.  I took a 2 hour nap Saturday around 03Z that turned into 7.5 hours.

10m and 15m were better than expected all weekend, but especially on Sunday.
10m seemed to come in waves.  First it was the SA stations, then nothing, then
EU (I couldn't seem to get any of the Z15 stations though), then nothing, then
SA again.  Even the SA stations were in waves - Zones 12 & 13, then Zone 11,
then Zone 9, then nothing, then Zone 13 again, etc.

Thanks everyone for the Qs, especially the USA guys who answered my CQs on 80m
and 160m and inflating my QSO total :=)  Perhaps I should have tried running
more on the other bands and not kept turning off my alarm Saturday night :=)

See you in the CW leg!

73

Chris VE3FU / VO2AC