[3830] CQWW SSB N5ZO/MM SOAB Classic LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 26 20:14:05 EDT 2020

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: N5ZO/MM
Operator(s): N5ZO
Station: N5ZO/MM

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: At sea, CQ zone 6

   80:    1     1        1
   40:    1     1        1
   20:  465    12       11
   15:   60    13       13
   10:    2     1        1

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was my 30th zone to operate CQ WW DX contest from.
Captain John N6HOY and vice captain/navigator Larry N6NC and I sailed from San
Diego to zone 6 to operate contest as maritime mobile station.  On the way there
while in zone 3 another about 100 Qs were made with Larry's call as N6NC/MM.  We
were using 32 ft long sailboat with diesel engine.  Name of the boat was
Dragonfly.  Original plan was to operate Multi-Single but since Larry was more
interested of sea activity I ended up to do all radist work and hence Single Op
entry.  Antenna was 20 m inverted V but as boats metal mast was interfering with
it and SWR was swinging wildly radio was not very happy with it and we ended up
rigging the antenna as vertical with one radial, which worked much better.
There was also 40 m extension for the antenna but at the end it was never used
and I just used K3 radios tuner to force feed it on 15 m and make couple other
QSOs on other bands.  15 m was actually working quite well to DX and I could
have spent more time there.  Objective was not to make score, but to operate
several hundreds of Qs with any customers.  I felt big difference on working US
after everyone turned their antenna from EU to Asia during afternoon.  On the
way back when already in zone 3 and about hour away from San Diego boat's engine
died (most likely clogged fuel filter) and we needed to get towed back.  It
worked out well as owner of the boat had insurance covering the tow, and we were
only delayed couple hours on return.  It was another great radio adventure in
working 40 zones.  Hope to work everyone again in CW portion if I'm able to make
it to somewhere interesting this year.  Big thanks to Larry and John for all the
support.
Tnx for Qs de Marko N5ZO