[3830] CQWW SSB VE2IDX(VE3ZF) SO(A)SB40 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Oct 30 15:40:01 EDT 2020

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: VE2IDX
Operator(s): VE3ZF
Station: VE2IDX

Class: SO(A)SB40 LP
QTH: Zone 2, Quebec
Operating Time (hrs):

   40: 1057    19       51
Total: 1057    19       51  Total Score = 138,390

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Traveling to a remote destination is very challenging always, especially due to
COVID-19 restrictions.
I came to Zone 2 after 21 hours of hard-driving through the mountains of
Northern Quebec in 5 days before the contest.
I was installing 4 phased verticals on the shore of St. Lawrence River on the
first day after my arrival and an 18-meter mast for stretching 6 elements wired
Yagi to Europe on the second day. Strong snowstorm with wind 57 km per hour on
the following night has bent 18 meter`s mast in the middle under 90 degrees. On
3rd day damaged mast was put down to the ground, disassembled, and the damaged
aluminum pipe was aligned to the curved portion back by the hydraulic press.
Fortunately, this hydraulic press was available in the closest mechanical shop.
After that repaired mast was pushed back to 18-meter height and 6 el. Yagi on 40
was stretched between 2 towers. This 18-meter mast and 6 elements Yagi was
installed by 2 peoples only, it was really no easy task.
2 beverage antennas to EU and W6 were installed the same day later as well.
I should say that weather conditions in Zone 2 this time of the year were
challenging, during 5 days before the contest I had 3 strong snowstorms with
wind 57-65 km per hour, such weather at this time of the year is very
predictable here.
One day before the CQWW all was prepared and I was enjoying operating before the
contest. However Uncle Murphy did not sleep and one hour before CQWW I had one
more challenge - sparks in the high voltage module of the power amplifier. Got a
full package of "pleasure" - sparks, strong burned smell, and
definitely not sufficient time for repair because it happened one hour before
the contest.
I`ve decided to operate in SOSB (A) 7 MHz LP, the contest has started in less
than an hour. Condx was too far for calling perfect, QSOs with NA came quickly
despite LP but Europe was not easy - sparks on the Sun were a few days ago, it
was very affected to the polar zone of the Earth...
However I had many hours of great pileups with North America on 40 meters, 4
phased verticals this is an antenna!
6 el. Yagi worked well too, gave more than 1,5-2 S-unit vs 4 SQ to EU
direction.
Equipment/software used: YAESU FT-1000MP radio, N1MM+ Logger.
40 meters antennas: 6 elements wired Yagi to EU direction at 45', 4 phased
verticals on the shore of St. Lawrence River.
RX antennas: 2 beverages to EU and W6, 80 meters length each.
I really enjoyed by CQ WW operation from Zone 2, see you in the CW part from
Zone 2 in the next 4 weeks.
73,
Igor VE2IDX, also VE3ZF