[3830] All Asian SSB K3EST(@N6RO) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 7 23:58:02 EDT 2020

                    All Asian DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K3EST
Operator(s): K3EST N6RO N6WM W9KKN WD6T WX5S
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

   40:  605   135
   20:  206    92
   15:   0`     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  836   247  Total Score = 212,667

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was a contest that separated the wheat from the chaff! Conditions were, for
lack of a better, word terrible. The team managed to find every possible
opening. Thanks to slack we maintained a robust contest interaction. All bands
but 20 were operated remotely with no problems, No one can say participation was
down because all bands but 40 were really hammered by propagation. 40m was
actually very good Q-wise but signals were up and down. We worked 759 JA
stations of which 602 were on 40! The activity was there but the MUF was not
there for other bands above or below 7 mHz.  Thanks to Bill, W9KKN, Gary NA6O
and Chris, N6WM for making remote run smoothly. Thanks to Ken, N6RO for the use
of his station and Sat night chili!
Comments from the operators:

160: ant 4sq + quad N6RO: Too bad the contest sponsors did't include 160 as a
band on SSB. JAs now can operate there..! Called CQs and was heard in JA,  Band
was very quiet here, but suspect very noisy in JA due to T-storm noise from
typhoon. Strongly suspect there was uncertainty in JA about SSB in AA.

80: ant 4sq + quad: Bill, W9KKN first night yielded only 17 QSOs!  10 in the
12-13 hours.
      David, WD6T Kept an eye on 80 and threw out some CQs but zip until 5 AM.
Then sparse.  80 didn't come alive until very late, 11z.  Still, few stations
worked. Got a bit of a sunrise enhancement.

40: ant 4/4 WX5S, Matt Overall condx on 40m were below average.  I was very
surprised when rate dropped dramatically after JA sunset. that was completely
unusual and unexpected. The typhoon may have had something to do with that?  I
appreciated the politeness and patience of many JA operators. Many, many QSO's
took more than one "over" with repeat requests.
            David, WD6T second night Many JAs were very weak.  Hard work pulling
info out.  Like a mouse in a herd of buffalos. I’d say 40% QSOs were in that
category. Sometimes multiple overs required. Also many off frequency.   RIT
needed often. Oddly, many seemed to have the same offset of about 60 Hz.  RIT
absolutely essential to copy.   Also I only worked three non-Japan the last
night... 2 HLs and an HS.   There may have been a U* calling me on 40 but I
couldn’t pick it out.  Probably should have turned antenna more towards north
late in night but still were JAs calling weakly.
            Chris, N6WM: Sunday 40m coverage 12z to dx close. Usual Sunday
activity from Asia. A highlight was a surprise call from RC9O. He was 56 good
copy.

20: ant 5/5 Bob, K3EST Conditions Friday night were poor and about 0300 closed
until 0700 then only really open to VK/YB no JA. Second night was much better to
Asiatic Russia with loud stations but few JAs. Heard BV2A/3 and 9V1YC but no Q.
No JA runs to speak. Condx to JA were bad.
          Chris.  N6WM; Saturday morning coverage of 20 Meters. Several Middle
east stations copied.. HZ was worked easily UN9 also worked. Heard 4X1DX but
unable to break pile up.. Heard JY unable to get through. Sunday AM-pm coverage
20 meters,  dxing for mults--  condx to mid east better, Logged A4, 4X(x2) OD,
heard but not worked A6. (not hearing me). Military discipline needed to keep
vigil with bic

15/10: ant =:5/5 on 15, 5/5 on 10 aimed at JA or skewed path.
Chris, N6WM: 0000-dark no activity. Saturday all day NO 15m activity No QSOs on
15 or 10. Nothing heard!  It was really dead.