[3830] WAE SSB N9NB Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 13 21:35:43 EDT 2020

                    WAE DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: N9NB
Operator(s): N9NB
Station: N9NB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: va

   80:   47    20   100
   40:  236   260    93
   20:  403   398    92
-------------------------
Total:  686   678   285  Total Score = 375,100

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions seemed to be down, but improved a bit into the second day. The poor
conditions enabled me to get plenty of sleep throughout the weekend.

Seemed to me that the CW edition had more activity, but maybe that is simply due
to the fact that propagation was better last month.

This was my first contest using the Yamaha CM500 boom mic/headset in place of my
broken Heil headset, and I was very impressed with the comfort and on-air
performance. It was a bargain at $59 from a mail order audio shop in Ft. Wayne
IN (Sweetwater)! The headphones required the supplied in-line amp circuit that
runs on 2 AAA penlight batteries to drive the audio properly into the microKeyer
box. Worked first time out of the box, which was a relief.

While the low bands were very pleasantly quiet during the weekend, it was nice
to have the SAL-30 back in operation, as it made listening on 80m better than
last month when it was out of service (Thanks to Array Solutions and Hamation
for their continual great support - lightning blew out a capacitor in the Sal30
control box last month).

It was very kind of Greg NA8V to  mention to me on - air that I started the
contest a bit below the stated 40 m band limit of 7130. I had mistakenly thought
we could operate down to 7125, and he politely suggested that I move up  --- I
then reread the rules during the contest, and realized he was right  -- I needed
to be up above 7130. I wont make that mistake again!

Thanks to everyone for the Q's and the fun, and thanks to DARC and the
organizers for another exciting WAE.

Hope to see you in the next contest!

73 ted n9nb