[3830] ARRL Sep VHF KR1ST Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 14 13:46:35 EDT 2020

                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2020

Call: KR1ST
Operator(s): KR1ST
Station: KR1ST

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN21FK
Operating Time (hrs): 12:45

  1.2:   11     6
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  224    69  Total Score = 21,804

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Another fun contest in the books! I had set a goal of working at least 100 Q's
on voice and CW before switching to digital. Since there was plenty of activity
on these modes on Saturday, I abandoned that plan and decided to go
<B>no-digital</B> for the rest of the contest as well. Another
reason to go no-digital was that I was using the contest to test a modification
I made to the IC-9700 for which I needed to be able to work stations that could
run the bands. The digital modes do not lend themselves very well for that.

I logged onto the ON4KST chat page once, but when I saw that mess I quickly
logged out. I did not feel like begging for QSO's on a chat page only to get
frustrated by no responses at all, or the "I'll be with you in a
minute"-response and then not hear from that station any more, or get a
note 45 minutes later asking if I'm still interested. For me this was going to
be a "just-having-fun-I-couldn't-give-a-rats-behind-about-points"
contest. The only assistance I used was the club's Slack channel. And in line
with the having fun rule, I did not get on the air on Sunday until maybe 1:30pm
when I felt like playing radio again.

One lesson I learned is that I need to synchronize my rotators. Having two
separate controllers meant that sometimes I forgot to turn both antenna stacks
at the same time. There are some good options available so that's an easy
problem to solve.

There was a good tropo opening along the coast and a bit to the West of me on
Saturday, but I was hardly able to take advantage of that. The tropo-blobs on
the APRS map never include my QTH. Maybe it's a hint?! ;-)

I had several nice long conversations with some portable and fixed stations.
That was very enjoyable. It kind of confirms that contests are really just
activity generating events for which people venture out and have some fun. The
competition is secondary. Some of these conversations were really inspiring me
to try something different. For that I thank the stations that took the time to
chat with me. Working rovers is also great fun. I worked K8GP/R in a few grinds
on several bands and I think I worked N2SLN/R on 4 bands in 4 grids with great
signals. Thanks for being out there generating activity!

Thanks for the Q's. I hope to see you in the next one.

73,
--Alex KR1ST

 Band   Mode  QSOs     Pts  Grd  Pt/Q
    50  USB     74      74   17   1.0
   144  USB     69      69   19   1.0
   222  FM       1       2    0   2.0
   222  USB     30      60   14   2.0
   420  CW       1       2    0   2.0
   420  USB     38      76   13   2.0
  1240  CW       2       6    0   3.0
  1240  FM       1       3    0   3.0
  1240  USB      8      24    6   3.0
 Total  Both   224     316   69   1.4
Score: 21,804
1 Mult = 3.2 Q's

Rigs: IC-7300 w/ DEMI L222-28HP (50, 222)
      IC-9700 (144, 432, 1296)

Amps: Gemini HF-1k (50)
      Gemini 2 1.2k (144)
      Mirage C1012 (222)