[3830] CQ WW RTTY W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 28 20:44:36 EDT 2020

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2020

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA

   80:   29      16       3     4
   40:   52      20       7     7
   20:  125      38      16    14
   15:   23       5      15    12
   10:    2       1       2     2
-----------------------------------
Total:  231      80      43    39  Total Score = 53,460

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Yaesu FT-817, 5 Watts

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials
Conditions were not very good. I managed DXCC 24 and 18 Zones, both exactly the
same as last year. I heard very few Europe on 20 and managed to work only
EA2ESZ. My only Africa was the omnipresent ED8W who finally was able to copy my
QRP signal on Sunday! So that gave me a very slim WAC for the contest!

I had only two Qs on 10 Meters, one was a strong in state signal, and the other
was a very strong LU8ADX out of nowhere 40 minutes before the end of the
contest.

I had no best Q in this contest unless it was NH2DX on 20 who was a double mult
and my last Q of the contest.

At 80 yrs old, I was still able to get away with 4 hrs of sleep the first night
and 5 1/2 hrs the second night.

I love RTTY contests because they are so easy to operate. Dupes show up directly
in the print out, and the "grab" command makes it easy to log Qs.

It is a GREAT way to start the new contest season!! I'm looking forward to CQ
WWDX SSB!

73,  Bill  W6QU - W8QZA