[3830] GaQP KT4Q Single OpMixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Apr 12 10:57:00 EDT 2021

                    Georgia QSO Party - 2021

Call: KT4Q
Operator(s): KT4Q
Station: KT4Q

Class: Single OpMixed LP
QTH: GA-Rabun

  160:
   80:   6      62
   40:   3     384
   20:          14
--------------------
Total:   9     460  CW Mults = 2  Ph Mults = 46  Total Score = 22,944

Club: Deep Dixie Contest Club

Comments:

This was the first instate GaQP effort in 15 years.  Operated from our vacation
cabin in the North Ga mountains.  Used a Buckmaster OCF Dipole that I hung up at
60 feet.  Thought it would be an ideal operating location but on every band I
had a noise floor of 8 to 9+10. I first thought it was atmospherics but talking
with a few local hams, they had very low noise floor readings on everything
except 80m.  I must have significant power line noise in the area.  This
significantly hindered my ability to work weaker stations and I am sure I missed
a number of callers and I am sorry.  Also my Dipole was oriented N & S so
Florida and the North East/Midwest was strong, West was less.  I also had issues
with feedback in my computer constantly knocking off my Comm ports and effecting
my headset mic.  Early in the contest I moved my radio setup to the opposite
side of the house and that helped with the Comm port issue but still had my
audio cutting in and out.  This all felt like a Field Day operation.  Never less
I enjoy this QSO Party.

Being in the far Northeastern part of the state, I was able to work numerous
Florida stations and a few Alabama stations.  I was also surprised to work a few
SC and NC stations being so close yet tucked in a valley surrounded by
mountains.

Unless I can figure out the line noise situation, I may not operate for this
location again or may switch to a vertical antenna much further away from the
power lines supplying the house.

Thank you to the SECC for hosting this QSO Party.

Rig:    Yaesu FTdx5000MPL (150w)
Ant:    Buckmaster OCF Dipole at 60'
S/W:    WriteLog