[3830] NMQP AA5B/M Mobile Multi-Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Apr 12 14:22:30 EDT 2021

                    New Mexico QSO Party - 2021

Call: AA5B/M
Operator(s): K5TQ AA5B
Station: AA5B/M

Class: Mobile Multi-Op LP
QTH: NM

----------------------------
Total:  571     41      0  Mults = 70  Total Score = 215,620

Club: New Mexico Big River Contesters

Comments:

Our club (New Mexico Big River Contesters) wanted to do something special last
year -- activate all NM counties during the QSO party -- but the Covid lockdown
prevented us from travelling. Most of us were vaccinated this time, so we set
our sights high again. New Mexico is a big state, over 120,000 square miles,
with a lot of empty space and lonely roads. Our 4 mobile stations and several
fixed stations operated from 30 of the 33 counties, and would have hit the other
three if Murphy hadn't struck N2GJ's mobile antennas. Still, a great effort by
all.

Gary (K5TQ) and I drove 812 miles in a very full minivan and activated 10
western and south-central counties, operating mostly CW. Temperatures ranged
from 27 at dawn in the NW corner of the state to over 80 in the afternoon in the
SW corner. We drove through places neither of us had seen before, despite having
lived here for more than 40 years. As I said, it's a big place. And very
interesting.

Elecraft K2-100 and Kenwood TS590.
Mag-mounted hamsticks for 20 and 40 meters.
Deep-cycle batteries for the radios, inverters for laptops.

We had done lots of experimenting in the weeks before the contest, trying out
various inverters, antenna configurations, etc. Even operated mobile in a couple
CW OPS events to check things out. All in all, we were happy how things worked
out.

   73, Bruce/AA5B and Gary/K5TQ