[3830] MoQP N0W Cnty Exped Multi-Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Aug 4 12:29:18 EDT 2021

                    Missouri QSO Party - 2021

Call: N0W
Operator(s): NJ8M AE0MO
Station: N0W

Class: Cnty Exped Multi-Op LP
QTH: MO
Operating Time (hrs): 8:04

  160:
   80:    4      0      0
   40:   82     41      0
   20:  146     94      0
----------------------------
Total:  232    135      0  Mults = 64  Total Score = 38,272

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

On friday, we traveled to Lamar, Mo, Barton County, BTN. The weather sucked
being 100F temp and nearly the same humidity. We would work 30 minutes then rest
in the camper for 30 minutes cooling down and rehydrating. We put up a 2 element
yagi at 20 feet and 40-10 vertical and EFHW 80-10. The antennas worked great but
the band noise was terrible because of the incoming rain and lightning strikes.
All antennas were with in 50 feet of each other in the RV park and we use 3 sets
or multiplexers with associated bandpass filters to keep out of each other's
receivers. It worked like a charm even when running CW and SSB on the same band
at the same time. The radios were TS590S and FTDX101D. Both radios performed
flawlessly.

Starting on saturday we had N1MM problems getting it to log correctly and
finally got the expedition mode and station config files matched and loaded
correctly so we could run smoothly and log correctly. More learning. Totally and
operator error not N1MM error. Once all was right, after about 2 hours of
fiddling we were able to operate and get down to business. We list 8 hours but
truthfully, we only operated about 6 hours because of the software problems.
Once we got going at best, it was a slog.

Kevin, AE0MM, ran the phone station with the Kenwood. Morgan, NJ8M, ran the CW
Station with the Yaesu. We had fun overall. The camper worked great and the
airconditioning was excellent. We were able to get it down to 61 degrees until I
figured out how to match the heatpump and airconditioning units together with
the thermostats.

On saturday, we had to shut down due to lightning and severe rain storms. The
good thing was with the weather that was going to totally knock out us operating
the evening hours, we decided to take the station down and go home. Why was this
good, the rain and cold front dropped the temp into the mid to low 70s and we
were able to pack up the antennas in record time with out having to cool off at
all. 2 hours of take down time and packing and we were on the road home when all
hell broke loose with the lightning. Both sky to ground and ground to sky
lightning was observed. The torential downpour kept me from driving faster than
45 mph pulling the camper. Not even semis were driving faster.

We enjoyed having visitors from SEKARC radio club that lived in Lamar, MO come
visit us. It took me off the air about an hour of CW time but good will is more
important than a few Qs. As I said it was a slog. The rates were terrible for
both SSB and CW.

One fun thing is that on Friday night Kevin, AE0MO enjoyed working a few Russian
station on 20 meters with the 2 element beam. They were 59+ with the beam and
just barely discernable on the Vertical and almost silent on the EFHW. Gotta
love the Yagi---2 elements up 20 feet, good times. It will be in my field day
arsenal.

Maybe we will see you guys next year. We did it because we were bored and both
of us love Field Day type contests. My new camper, a nuCamp TAB 400,  worked out
great. Still with all the water we drank it took me a couple of days to
rehydrate and recover from the event. The camper is cleaned and the gear is in
the house but it is far from being stored correctly for the next big event.

I hope to work everyone in the up comeing contest season---KSQP (special call
K0Y), 160 CQ and ARRL, ARRL SS, CQ and ARRL DX. Hell who knows, I may get bored
and fire up some RTTY. I am predominately CW and Kevin is SSB. Both of us love
to contest, or is that Live to contest. For now...

73, Morgan NJ8M, Kevin AE0MO