[3830] NAQP CW K4BAI Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 8 00:55:44 EDT 2021

                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA

   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total:  816   191  Total Score = 155,856

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC#1

Comments:

This was a much different NAQP that it seemed it would be earlier in the week.
My TH6DXX had been not working since December.  My 80M dipole and th3 88' cf
zepp failed within the last week.  No signals and infinite SWR.  KU8E came down
on Tuesday evening and found the problems with the two wire antennas and
repaired them.  On Thursday night, I tried the TH6DXX with QRP power and it
worked.  Then with 100W and it still worked.  Rotator was not working well, but
would rotate from NE to N.  Didn't use HP on it as I am almost certain it will
fail if I do.  But the three antennas that were not working last weekend were
working all contest.  I had expected to have to use the 160M inverted L on 160
and also on 80, 20, 15, and 10.  Rotator would go over to E and to W,, but not
responding every time.  So, largely thanks to KU8E, I enjoyed the NAQP.  10M
seemed dead, but when KU8E and I QSYed up there from 20M, W1KM called us with a
good signal.  Other than that one time, no signals heard on 10.  15M was dead at
the start, but on first check back, it was open and stayed open quite late. Even
after it seemed dead, I had a QSY from 20 with KG9X for the IL mult on 15.  20,
40, 80 and 1600 seemed about what you would expect in August.  About 2200Z. 40M
was a bit long and I was concerned about working neighboring states, but on the
next pass of 40M, the zkip zone was practically gone and I got all the nearby
states on that band.  Heard a lot more than could hear me on 160.  Thanks for
all QSOs.  73, John, K4BAI.