[3830] NAQP CW K4HQK Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 8 13:14:51 EDT 2021

                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 7:45

   10:   17     8
-------------------
Total:  320   115  Total Score = 36,800

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC Over The Hill/DC

Comments:

The NAQP-CW contest is one of my favorites--the 100w limit that helps to level
competition, the restriction to North America, and the shortened BIC
commitment—perfect for us “small station” types. Despite QRN and other
noises this time, I managed nearly 20 more QSOs than a year ago in the same
amount of time.

I was puzzled, though, that activity seemed a bit off, at least at my QTH.
Canadians, for example, were in very short supply here. VE2, VE3, VE4 and the
odd special callsign of VE9M85A were all I heard and worked. And yet the long
skip on 20m and 40m made it all the way to the West Coast (CA, OR, WA). Where
was the usual army of VE7s? I also never heard HI or AK.

I did manage several VI and PR QSOs, which N1MM insisted on logging as KP2 and
KP4, plus a ZF and an HH, which did log as ZF and HH. I also worked 45 states
plus DC (missing RI, NE, ND, HI, and AK).

It was a pleasant surprise to encounter a bit of Es (I think) to the Midwest on
10m, which lasted long enough for me to bag 17 QSOs, and on 15m, for another 21
QSOs. On 20m I collected 96 QSOs during daylight hours. By 1800EDT, however,
there was little to be heard here from 14 mHz up.

The 40m band as usual was packed with activity (and QRN), as was 80m. Both were
very productive for me.

Except for a short run on 80m, I operated in S&P mode.

73!

John K4HQK
Alexandria, Virginia

Station: Icom 7410, Cushcraft R6000 vertical, and dipoles.