[3830] NAQP CW W9RE Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 8 14:00:54 EDT 2021

                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: W9RE
Operator(s): W9RE
Station: W9RE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IN

   10:    6     6
-------------------
Total: 1141   215  Total Score = 245,315

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC Big Sable Point Lighthouse

Comments:

After starting the contest on time I noticed I had no SCP and no database
available.   This meant a lot more typing (especially in SO2R). I lasted half an
hour and told my wife I was not going to operate FT since I was thrown for a
loop by this.  I took a 10 minute break a half hour in and never did find the
file but substituted the SSB one in it's place.  Then another minor glitz
happened that normally restarting the program takes care of but rebooting was
necessary this time.

With 20 m conditions very good here. I kept operating and was back in the swing
and enjoying operating.   My wife kept saying I thought you were quitting.  In
the back of my mind was the fact that these NAQP CW's only happen twice a year
so it's a tough decision to quit.  I had not operated FT since January 2020
because of other commitments.

Lot's of QRN on 40 to 160 so thanks for all the repeats.

A new challenge for me is age related maladies.  Recent eye surgery has left me
with some complications requiring multiple eye drops up to 4 times a day and I
had to schedule off times around this which obviously is not the best of
situations.  Also rotator cuff pain (maybe from tennis) is bothersome on my
right tuning arm so I had to move things around to limit the pain when tuning
the 2nd radio.

In spite of all these challenges and mishaps I did operate FT so thanks to all
for getting on and making this a good contest.