[3830] 222Up VE3CRU/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 15 10:27:41 EDT 2021

                    ARRL 222 MHz and Up Distance Contest - 2021

Call: VE3CRU/R
Operator(s): VE3CRU
Station: VE3CRU/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:   0
  2.3:   2
  3.4:   1
  5.7:   1
  10G:
  24G:
------------
Total:  20  Total Score = 11,590

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Distance scoring appeals to me.  The Rovermobile has been totally stripped for
over 2 years so this meant a total rebuild of the rover station in the heat wave
we are having. Started 30 minutes late and went qrt at 1900z from a major storm
that hit at that time and 2 qso's.  Returned 4 hours later to work the only
signal heard at 7 pm and my best odx, K1TEO at 553 km, I was in FN04na.

Sunday started in FN03tw with only K1TEO heard and worked at 514 km.  Then on to
FN04vb and W2FU. Next to FN14ba for K1TEO and a lot of fun running up to 5760
ssb with N2WK with great copy.  Next grid was the shoreline of Lake Ontario at
fn13bx and more bands with N2WK to 2304 but it seems the lake effect swallowed
up our 3456 and 5760 attempts.  Then to the old rover site at FN04xa and 3 bands
with KD2LGX all loud.  Ended with VE3ZV.

W2SZ announced they would be testing a new site at FN22VE, and being a W2SZ
rover in the past I was excited about an opportunity to test new paths with
them, which is one reason I chose to enter the event. Unknown to me at the time,
they chose to go digi which automatically eliminated me as I will never run
digi. A major disappointment, but the times are changing and for many, so are
the modes.  Experienced deep fringe Old Modes rover for hire, hi hi.

The ARRL set up distance scoring to eliminate a flaw in the VHF contests, but
allowing machine to machine qso's to compete with non-digi contesters
has created a new flaw.  This needs to be corrected.

1296 was broke, no output, the 910H now sent for repair to Icom Canada. The 902
transverter had keyline failure, needed a longer pin rca for the transverter
ptt, found one and used a jumper to activate as needed.  Crude but it got me on
the band for those band factor x4 gains.  222 was FM only.

Thanks to the ARRL for the Distance Scoring opportunities offered in the 222Up
and to all who participated.  Hope to return next year.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R