[3830] NAQP SSB K0EU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 23 09:31:08 EDT 2021

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: K0EU
Operator(s): K0EU
Station: K0EU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CO

   15:    1     1
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total: 1232   156  Total Score = 192,192

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Team: GM Fur Trappers

Comments:

Had my best start ever in the first two hours, coming up just 4 Q's shy of 400.
This was probably due to the fact that most stations were stuck with 20 meters.
Zero stations appearing on 10 and 15 on my band scope meant I could hunker down
and concentrate one a single band. I was lucky in that I managed to snag a nice
clear run frequency and didn't move for 3-1/2 hours. Did one quick sweep of the
band at that time and took my first break. Got a little more life out of 20M and
then switched to 40M. Rates on 40 weren't as good, due heavy QRN and QSB. Rode
40 as long as I could and then spent time at the end on 80 and 160. Thankfully,
the noise abated in the last few hours and allowed for a few good runs on 80 and
a handful of mults on top band.

Apologies to all for my lack of abilty to copy on the low bands. My QTH is not
quiet even without thunderstorms. When you add in big static crashes, I really
struggle. Took me five minutes to figure out the name (DREUX) of a North Dakota
station on 160. To his credit, he stuck with me and didn't get frustrated.

Only managed to work GMCC team members W0ETT (all bands), WY7M (2 bands - tnx
move to 20M), and KH6CJJ (1 band). Thanks W0ETT for putting together the teams.

Best QSO by far was with an 8 year old op named Mark. I usually take a little
extra time to talk to the very young ops and give them some extra encouragement.
When I told him a didn't start hamming until I was 14, he said "Wow, that's
old!". I wonder what he would say about my current age!

73 Randy (aka Ken in NAQP and Sprint)