[3830] OhQP K8MR Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 29 20:06:21 EDT 2021

                    Ohio QSO Party - 2021

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR K3LA
Station: K8MR

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: 28 Counties

   80:  310     3
   40:  429     2
--------------------
Total:  888     5  CW Mults = 84  Ph Mults = 2  Total Score = 153,166

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

A good contest, though not up to the 2020 standard. The usual K8MR/M minivan
(2007 Sienna) has dead A/C, so given the heat we instead took the "FQP
Mobile", a 2015 Prius V with three HamSticks. This is quite a bit noisier,
especially if pushing the gasoline engine, i.e. going up hills, etc., of which
there are many in eastern Ohio. So I sensed that we were often alligators. Plus
the noise made SSB especially tough, so very little effort there. But it was
cooler and it only took 11 1/2 gallons of gas for the 530 miles trip :-)

QSOs by county, in order of first appearance: (counting both modes)

CUYA  19
SUMM  38
PORT  24
TRUM  39
MAHO  22
COLU  18
STAR  23
CARR  30
TUSC  30
HARR  39
BELM  35
GUER  38
MONR  42
NOBL  40
MUSK  46
MORG  34
PERR  28
ATHE  34
HOCK  37
FAIR  41
PICK  29
FRAN  60
DELA  22
MORR  32
RICH  27
ASHL  22
WAYN  9
MEDI  35

With the SFI at 90, I had hoped for some action on 15M, but heard only one
signal there, a loud K1ESE in Maine. So after a few hours we installed the 80M
HamStick in its place for the duration. It was good to have some short in-state
skip on 40M, and some short stuff to the east coast on 20, but more distant
signals were not good. Even OM2VL was never loud enough on CW to make our usual
QSY to SSB worthwhile.

We skipped planned operation from UNIO and MADI, but made it back home by 12:15
am.

Thanks to all who followed us around Ohio!

73 - Jim  K8MR