[3830] ARRL 160 K3ZM Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 5 11:03:36 EST 2021

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: K3ZM
Operator(s): K3ZM
Station: K3ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Virginia

Total:  QSOs = 1172  Sections = 74  Countries = 51  Total Score = 393,375

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

During the contest, I came to realize that my XMIT antenna was apparently not
working correctly.  Under the fog of competition, I was not thinking clearly and
did not see the pattern of facts and the likely explanation.  After the event, I
realized that apparently 12 vdc is only being applied to pin 1 of the XMIT four
square when switching directions.  Consequently, NE is fine, SE is fine, but SW
is actually pointing NE and NW is actually pointing toward the population
centers of the South Atlantic!

When I am not trying to run EU's, guess which direction I most often point my
antenna?  Northwest!  Too bad there are not more stations located at CR4.

This had several bad consequences.  After the first few minutes of the contest,
when I was working EU stations and mid-Atlantic stations nicely, a W9 came right
on my frequency and started running the mid-west.  As usual, I pointed my
antenna NW and said "SRI K3ZM here.  QRL.  TNX.  CUL."  Well, he kept
calling CQ and working stations.  I'm thinking, "What is wrong with this
guy?!"  As each minute passes, it becomes more unbelievable.  Finally, I
move up to about 1835 and resume working EU with my antenna pointed back to the
NE.  Back to normal.  Decent sunset run of EU's.

However

Later, as most of the EU's go to bed, it's time to turn the antenna back to the
NW and also to switch back and forth with the SW.  I came to feel like I was in
the Twilight Zone.  But, once again, I was caught up in the frenzy of the
contest and not thinking clearly.  For much of Friday night, I was saying to
myself, "Wow.  Usually I get tons and tons of calls from W9, W5, and then
the West Coast.  Conditions must be really weird."  Then, to add insult to
injury, I am trying to nab a needed VE6 and having no luck when, of all things,
VY2ZM calls right over me and gets him.  With all due respect, that should not
happen in most instances.  I'm in some kind of la la land here.

Despite having my very directive XMIT antenna pointed either NE or SE for the
entire Friday night, I went to bed at 1230Z on Saturday morning with 922 QSOs,
48 countries and 72 states.  As I went to sleep, I thought this was the
strangest affair I have ever operated in.  The effect of the XMIT antenna was
clouded by the fact that I listen on a second receiver with Beverages and often
have the primary receiver on some RX Four Squares.

To be fair to myself, I did not leave the chair from 2130Z to 0830Z the first
night for any reason and was operating wall to wall until after sunrise.

Back on the air by 2011Z on Saturday afternoon.  A decent sunset opening was
hampered by QRN, unfortunately.  Then, it was time to turn the antenna back
toward the west.  Time for a comeback of huge proportions!  I was missing an
inexplicable number of states out west (as well as NNY).  I did not know that my
antenna was pointed toward the Cape Verde Islands.

The good news is that I did great to PY, LU and YV!  I owned 'em!

By 0145Z Saturday evening I was overcome by a feeling of total defeat and pulled
the plug.  The best part of the contest was going to sleep at a normal time on
Saturday night.

Best DX was ZL1AZ on Saturday morning.  With my antenna pointed Southeast.

EX6T was a good one Friday evening.  And the antenna was pointed in the right
direction.  Yay.

I worked 194 EU's Friday evening.  Nothing to write home about, but I bet I was
competitive in that respect.

Sometimes we get so caught up in the moment, we do not think clearly.

Merry Christmas and thanks for all the QSOs!

73,

Peter  K3ZM