[3830] ARRL 160 AA4LR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 5 12:56:10 EST 2021

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA

Total:  QSOs = 292  Sections = 49  Countries = 4  Total Score = 31,588

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
160/80/40m trap inverted-J with 3 elevated radials
Single K9AY-style look, facing NE

Equipment:
Elecraft K3/100+KSYN3A(x2) w/ KAT3
Elecraft P3

Comments:

A limited-time operation from the Fulton QTH. I set up the K9AY loop on the back
of the garage on the parsonage earlier in the week. Just used parts I had on
hand - 2 1k resistors in parallel, a transformer made out of a large ferrite
bead, and 45 feet of wire. I'm not sure it was terribly effective. I ran it into
the AUX input, so I could only use it with diversity reception. I found it was
rarely better in the right ear.

Even though I added a radial to the Inverted-J and replaced the feed line, it
wasn't terribly effective. Generally, in this contest, I can count on about an
hour or two of running with good rates around 100/hr. Instead, I struggled a bit
to be heard.

Band conditions didn't seem to be that great, especially the first night. It was
a little bit better the second night, but both nights were plagued with long,
deep fades.

Not a lot of multipliers. No one from 6-land at all, and only NA7TB from 7-land.
It would have been helpful if I had stayed on later in the evening. DX was C6A,
CM, V3 and ZF (ZF9CW was everywhere, and stronger than a lot of locals). Also
worked KP2, but never heard KP4.

Had a little bit of a problem sitting for the contest. My right knee had been
bothering me for a couple of weeks, and sitting in the chair for more than 90
minutes became uncomfortable.

Nice to hand out some Qs. This contest is more fun when you can be heard....