[3830] ARRL 160 W1DYJ SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 5 16:31:59 EST 2021

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: EMA

Total:  QSOs = 186  Sections = 39  Countries = 2  Total Score = 15,498

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

With low power and a low "bent dipole," I'm not sure "Having
Fun" is the
right word for this contest.  "Worthwhile Challenge" is probably
better.
But I did have fun.  I had three goals:
        A Personal Best
        WAS  -- need AK CA HI NV OR WA
        DXCC -- HAVE 86 Confirmed
The results: Sort-of, No, No.  The sort-of: it was a personal best here
in Massachusetts, but only half of my best score at my "old" QTH in
Maine.
I just finished putting up my Hy-Power 75/160 loaded "dipole" down
here,
brought down from Maine, although it doesn't fit in my small back yard.

QUESTION: With most 160 stations using verticals of some sort, and the fact
that stations close to me were weak, does the ~20dB cross polarization from
my low "bent" dipole have that much effect???  (I assume it does.)  Or
is it
just that low power and a low dipole is a challenge?  (One of these days I
hope to have a real 160 antenna.)

Friday night/Saturday morning (5:30 local) were OK.  Saturday night saw
lots of QRN.  Sunday morning (6:30 local) didn't yield anything other than
east coast. Best "DX" was the Dakotas. (My two countries were
closer!)

Rig: TS-590SG
Actual BIC = 8 hours  (Classic "60 minute" time = 10:10)
Antenna: 35' Mast supporting a Hy-Power 75/160 loaded dipole, running S-N
                  Southern leg straight to one corner of yard
                  Northern end turning to E after 25' and then SE
                  after another 30' to fit into my 60x100 back yard
                  The "legs" drop down to about 15' at the ends.

Logger: N3FJP 160 Meter Contest Log Ver 5.0
99% S/C&P due to my meager CW & typing skills

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ