[3830] ARRL 160 NP2J(K8RF) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 5 19:25:35 EST 2021

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: NP2J
Operator(s): K8RF
Station: NP2J

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: St. Croix USVI

Total:  QSOs = 778  Sections = 77  Countries = 41  Total Score = 233,168

Murphy hit hard this weekend.

I Had intermittent problems with the Amp,
It looks like the vacuum relay has gone south.
Spent 2230z to 0200z first night trying to fix problem to no avail.

Sometimes I would lose receive,
then later the amp output wasn't connecting to antenna
and RF out would drop to zero..

My apologies for my signal cutting in and out....
I most have sounded terrible when problem was intermittent.

Had some good runs when everything was working,
0200z hour first night had 130 Q's in the log.
Next two hours were over 100/hr
I felt I was getting out well.

Then at 0500z hour problem got worse.
I lost over 40 minutes that hour alone.

Problem got better for a while.
Best QSO was ZL1AZ who called me, Thanks!

Had 615 Q's first night even with all the problems and lost time.
Also decent mult total considering.

Second night started out with some loud European stations,
Nice sunset enhancement.
OK1CF was louder than normal,as were others.

Then the amp problem resurfaced with a vengeance, no output.
I pulled the plug at 0030z.

Got back on later running 100 watts to nail TI5/N3RS for a new mult,
but that was it for me.

Had a lot of fun when things were working!
Thanks for the contacts everyone, good to see so many old friends!

Looking forward the the Big Stew in two two weeks!!

73

Dan NP2J/K8RF

K3S to AL82 with flaky vacuum relay
Pair phased Inverted L's

PS-
I read K3ZM's post... understand your frustration,
I feel for you Bro, had similar problem in Low Band Jack!!
Murphy was busy this weekend for sure...