[3830] ARRL 160 W0AIH(K0TG) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 5 22:35:57 EST 2021

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: W0AIH
Operator(s): K0TG
Station: W0AIH

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: WI

Total:  QSOs = 1390  Sections = 83  Countries = 34  Total Score = 349,479

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

It was an interesting weekend

Starting out, I had the feeling that my transmission was not always being sent
as intended.  I kept adjusting some settings and it seemed better.  Also
starting out, I don't think I was having a good day as far as being in the
moment on the contest.  I don't need a big psyche up to get going at all.  But I
was just off my mark.  All thumbs on the keyboard, etc.

About 3 hours in, the amp I was using developed some issues and the problems
were no longer hidden.  It was clear that the keying issues I was thinking I had
were real and caused by the amp.  So not what to do.  I had thought about going
home to get the PGXL that just came Thursday.  I had thought about finishing
running LP.  But realized I would have to enter in HP category, sicne I started
as HP.  I was not sure there was another good amp around.  I found one in the
house and once I got it up to the shack building, I gave it a try.  Thankfully
it worked very well!  I was off to the races again.  Unfortunatly, I lost almost
an hour of prime time operating when rates were the best.

Rates were not as good as they usually are Friday night.  Some other ops noted
that too.  But I can't help but think the amp issues added to that problem.

I closed the first night at 934 QSOs.  I did not think I would get there at the
rate things were going.

Got going on Saturday afternoon and woke up with a killer sinus headache.  I
have troble with allergies to cats.  Usually it is OK and I can get thru it
pretty well.  This one was quite persistant.  So plowed thru it and took a few
more moni breaks than I usually do.

All in all ended up with 1390 Qs.  Quite happy with that.  I had 68 dupes.
(4.93% of Qs) It gets tiring working so many dupes.  Especially when several are
calling, ya work the dupe and then no one is there when finished with the dupe.
All that for zero points!

Worked 83 Sections (missed NL, I think everyone did)

Had 34 DX including:

JA, C6, CM, HI, HP, TI, V3, XE, ZF, HC, LU, PJ2, 9A, DL, E7, EA, EA6,EI, EU, F,
G, GM, GW, HA, I, OK, OM, ON, PA, SM,SP, UA, YL, EA8

Worked a total of 4 JA.  Two each morning.  They all called me.  I never heard
any others on the band.

All in all, tons of fun.  Even with the issues.  That is just how it goes.

Thanks to Mary for hosting me this weekend.

73, John  K0TG