[3830] ARRL 160 W8LVN Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 6 16:13:49 EST 2021

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: W8LVN
Operator(s): W8LVN
Station: W8LVN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 690  Sections = 72  Countries = 3  Total Score = 104,175

My goal was to beat my numbers for last year. I followed along looking
at relative position, and surged head towards the end of the first
night, but didn't run as well the second night.

I had a lot of fun in this contest and did better than last year. 690
good QSOs, 72 mults 3 DX (PJ2, C6, ZF. Missed AK, EWa, Lax, NL, NNY, Org, Pac
WcF*,
WTx*. Heard the VE4 running at a high rate. Came back some time later
and got him on first call.  Briefly heard a G3 weakly and Martinique
and a Cuba.

Lots of SMC. Thanks for all the Qs.
Noise was not at all bad. Second night was really a slog. I worked the
dark hours, so on the order of 24 hours.

*Heard them but very messy pileups.

Antennas: Vanuatu Dipole at 15 feet high, max. Used also for
receive. And inverted L (under construction) and a BOG
(under construction). They didn't seem to help much.

Not much has been written about the Vanuatu Dipole. In fact, I only
know of two in existence. It is very closely related to a common
dipole that I have been calling the "Montana Dipole." This is a
dipole
fed directly with RG 58 or RG 8x or even sometimes RG8. There is no
balun, no common mode choke or any other proper compensating
device--just the direct feed with unbalance coax.  Think Field Day.
This antenna surprised me at how well it got out stateside.

Goal next year is to get closer to 1000 Qs. Hopefully the antennas
will be updated by then.

Lots of fun, and looking forward to next year.