[3830] ARRL 160 K3KU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Dec 9 12:02:38 EST 2021

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 3:18

Total:  QSOs = 260  Sections = 43  Countries = 2  Total Score = 23,670

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Starting Saturday night makes this contest fun for the first few hours --
"fresh meat" means great rates.  For me, with 100W and a dipole and no
rx ant, another fun aspect is making distant QSOs -- Europe and Western North
America -- and that fun can keep me going after the rate runs down.

This year I had a perfect anti-storm: I couldn't justify operating more than a
few hours (physical durability; family obligations), and condx were not going to
provide distant QSOs anyhow.  I heard no Europeans -- not even any working other
stations -- and I had just a handful of QSOs beyond the Father of Waters; no CA,
no W7, no VE west of ONN (but three ONN!)  I even missed RI, and I did not get a
QSO with KP2M.  My only "DX" was the ZF9 and the PJ2.

Running certainly was fun -- four runs of 44 to 56 QSOs. 200 QSOs total, plus a
few runs shorter than the N1MM+ criterion of 10 QSOs.  So, about 80% of my QSOs
were from CQing.  At 0053Z (Saturday night / Sunday UTC) I had my first five-QSO
minute.  That was the second minute of a 29-minute, 56-QSO run (118/hr).

Let's see... five per minute is 300 per hour.  All I have to do is keep that up
for 48 hours straight and I'd have a top-tier score.

Humbling.  But fun!