[3830] ARRL 10 N8II SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Dec 17 12:27:53 EST 2021

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: WV

   CW:  374    70
  SSB:  213    40
-------------------
Total:  587   110  Total Score = 211,420

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I was not feeling positive going into the test; solar flux was miserably low in
upper 70's and Es openings were very poor this season. 10M performed admirably
well, far above my expectations. There were F2 openings in many directions, most
notably Saturday into EU on CW from 1450-1531Z in my log. First in was S57Q,
then E7, HA, 9A, HB9, F, and lastly I. Some of them were near S9, but several
tries at SSB yielded no EU heard, no CQ answers. That was followed by a good
west coast opening from 1702Z until past 19Z with some good CW runs, but only
limited runs on SSB. The louder signals progressed from WA and OR, down to CA
and NV late in the opening. Sporadic E started with a whimper around 1952Z with
K3QH in FL who was fairly weak running a huge pile up on SSB. The opening
finally expanded past FL at 21Z working NC (possibly Es backscatter), GA, SC,
AL, finally TX at 2134Z, LA, IA, TN, MS, AR, MO, and KY by 2206Z. Any run was
fairly short and sputtery on both modes. ZL3 called in on a Es to F2 link at
2227Z. Later the opening extended far north into NE, IL, IN, WI, and OK.

Sunday was a struggle with poorer propagation and line noise which was loud from
about 1530Z until past sunset. I completely both modes with FR4KR and ZD7BG
working them on SSB. The SA opening was in from 1625Z until past sunset. It was
better than Saturday especially late afternoon with an apparent Ex link. The Es
into FL and SC was okay, but few stations were active. Nothing was heard north
of PY and OA. The west coast opening was shorter and spottier, mostly S&P
QSO's.

There was a a distinct lack of propagation to NA north of WV on any mode.
Despite working about 6 BC stations mostly Sunday, none were heard on SSB. My
only other VE was VE3EJ late Sunday on backscatter. This was probably an all
time low for me in Canadian mults and Q's. It was also the worst to MN in memory
with only WA0MHJ on SSB and him plus about 2 others on CW. Also, meteor scatter
seemed very sparse, very few MS Q's.

Congrats to K2PS and WQ5L for their big scores. Next year, we should finally
have better F2. Thanks for the calls and QSO's.

Happy holidays, Jeff