[3830] CQ160 CW W1SJ Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 1 00:32:13 EST 2021

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: W1SJ
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: W1SJ

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: VT

Total:  QSOs = 1218  State/Prov = 60  Countries = 38  Total Score = 335,944

Club: Radio Amateurs of Northern Vermont

Comments:

Monster rates (for me, at least) on the first night. Had 800 Q's in the log
Friday night but with a very poor showing of multipliers. This seemed to be a
repeat of the recent ARRL 160 where I had big totals the first night and then
got skunked on the second night.

So I doubled my efforts to put more DX in the log. However, it seemed whenever I
found DX I needed, they were, 1. extremely weak (even on the Beverage), 2. had a
U.S. station calling CQ on top of them (I refrain from calling across someone's
CQ's) or else, 3. they were holding a wild party of stations all calling on top
of each other and the DX could barely be heard.

Conditions were challenging! Many stations were quite weak, where they would be
normally easier to copy. Conditions were up and down all over the place.
Patience wasn't only a virtue, but was necessary. And the new Beverage allowed
me to hear Eu's calling CQ on top of me all night (but they didn't hear me!).

Somehow I put 100 DX QSO's in the log (this is with a low dipole). Of these, 2/3
were on Saturday night and over half were in the 07-08Z Eu sunrise magic window.

I always tell my buddies who go to bed early that the early bird (or late bird,
in this case, gets the worms.

There were a lot of cases where people are just not listening before
transmitting. I'd go back to 1 station and 2-3 would answer. Geez, isn't this is
the Gentleman's Band. What would T.O.M. (The Old Man) do? I contemplated some
Wouff Hong action, got a good laugh and went back to the job of putting QSO's in
the log.

But it was a fun time being up all night working the gang. Sleep is overrated.