[3830] CQ160 CW K9ZO Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 1 16:08:08 EST 2021

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 21:47

Total:  QSOs = 1041  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 12  Total Score = 165,130

Club: Metro DX Club

Comments:

Inverted vee at 65 ft. SAL30 which was not needed often because weak guys were
not attracted to my signal) Flex 6600, Maestro.

Started the contest with a nap.  Tired from "Mr. C" and having to stay
up late previously to try to sign up the XYL for a COVID vaccination. Good
initial run, but not particularly fast.  500 QSOs on my initial frequency,
though.  Ended the first session with about 750 QSOs, so decided to continue the
next day. No Europeans in the log.  Missed KH6LC as he could not hear me.
Missed NS also. No KL7 heard, although some very nice signals from VE7.  Lots of
California stations.  ME took a while to work and I am thankful for the remote
activity.  Glad there was CO, NP2X, ZF, HI, and V31 activity.  Could not get
through to YV.  Did not hear PY.  Managed to work 3 Europeans for mults. Best
QSO was WT2P who was running QRP and a very low, short antenna.  Maybe it should
not be classified as an antenna, but it did use wire.  This QTH is so quiet even
when it was pouring rain for hours. The howling wind made it difficult to copy
weak stations even inside the shack with headphones.

The second night was slow, but had 3 good hours with a slow run so I
concentrated on just putting more stations into the log.  I had to take numerous
naps.  Quit before sunrise because I could not find anyone new when tuning, but
there was tons of activity.

Tower crews are so difficult to find and I never was able to get a pulley on the
tower to make an inverted L let alone take down the SteppIR which never works on
40.  Too cold to finish up the beverages this year.  I was trying to get the 80
meter 4 square done.  Almost made it, but still need a reel of hardline.  I'll
have to make significant improvements before doing this contest again.  I could
have done much better.