[3830] WFD AE6JV 1O QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 2 17:03:09 EST 2021

                    Winter Field Day - 2021

Call: AE6JV
Operator(s): AE6JV
Station: AE6JV

Class: 1O QRP
QTH: NH

   40:    5      1      1
   20:   16      5     11
----------------------------
Total:   21     12      6  Mults = 4  Total Score = 1,728

Club: West Valley ARA

Comments:

I was in Winter Field day as a 1O NH QRP station. I found a garden
"shed" with a glass door and a double pane window to operate from.
Since it doesn't have any insulation, it qualifies as "Outdoor". But
it does completely eliminate the wind.

It doesn't have power, so there's no heat. And the weather cooperated with the
worst cold snap so far this winter. My outside thermometer read -5F Sunday
morning. I don't think temperatures got above 10-15F for the entire contest and
setup. (Try tying knots in fishing line at those temperatures.)

I hauled out my expedition weight down jacket and wool pants left over from my
collage era winter climbing trips. That and lots of long underwear and sweaters
kept me warm enough to operate the keyboard on my computer

I had 3 antennas, a 20M 2 element wire beam hoisted into the trees after rigging
ropes with an AirBoss fishing weight launcher. I also had a end-fed 40M wire
antenna which was also lifted with some rope and fishing line. The third antenna
was an AX1, which seemed sometimes to work better than the end-fed antenna on
40M.

I had a number of equipment issues, which I attribute to the cold. The Macbook
Pro signaled low battery and battery 80% charged at the same time. Sometimes the
KX3 would hang clicking relays during auto tune operations. The only fix was to
power off and retry.

But it was fun and thanks for the Qs.