[3830] NA Sprint CW K9GY(@W2/QUAKER) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Feb 6 22:46:38 EST 2021

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: K9GY
Operator(s): K9GY/4
Station: W2/QUAKER

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN31 (ENY)
Operating Time (hrs):
Remote Operation

---------------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC Early Birds - Falcons

Comments:

Was looking forward to finally trying HP in a Sprint! Goal was 100-175.

One of the (many) LtCol in the office mentioned his last name is the same as a
Dr Seuss character so that got me thinking about Sprint names, hah! LORAX yeah
that's the one! I'm must be a tad off center but hey it makes it fun for me.
Whatever it takes to get on and be RADIO-ACTIVE!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lorax

Kind of a different animal when using remote radio (no radio with knobs and a
paddle in the shack for fills). This contest moves quick and it's a bit tough to
move quickly remote without a radio in front of you IMO. At home, I'd use VFO
A/B to separate the two CQ freqs but no second VFO button like that. Had to eye
ball the separation based on last Q etc. One thing that was easier is finding
open spots to CQ using the waterfall on Flex.

Bad thing is this contest starts at 6pm ET. So took a break for dinner. Albeit
eating chili in front of the PC isn't a real family dinner hah! Choice was to
eat before 6p (but had a late lunch) or eat after 10pm...yucko.

Kind of surprised (maybe I haven't figured it out yet) but N1MM needs more CW
function keys....like Writelog where you can have cw msgs in shift-F1 etc.

Not convinced the 23z start was any better. Started to wonder if people forgot
it was an hour earlier! Mostly west coast (from NY) at that time anyways.
Activity on 20m seemed to die before my targeted move time (0015z). Was
expecting more from 80m....was planning on spending 1.5 hours there but decided
that wasn't in the cards.

Got back into the groove of things after a bit. You really have to utilize
copying CW in your head for this contest...and have confidence that you copied
it right. I used to be good at that but have become rusty with not being on the
air as much as before.

Used RHR W2/Quaker in Dutchess County, NY (FN31):
Flex 6600
20m: 4L @ 73'
40m: 2L @ 73'
80m: full size vertical

Well at about $1.42/QSO....I either better get rich or make more QSOs to lower
the cost per QSO!

Moderna shot number two on Weds supposedly....Yikes maybe sick next week?!

CQ CONTEST!
Become RADIO-ACTIVE!

Victory Starts Here!
https://www.tradoc.army.mil/